Pizza and Pre Rolls
May 21st is National Pizza Party Day, so we’re encouraging you all to take part! The Bay Area is loaded with incredible pizza joints, so grab a few joints from us (pun intended) and order your favorite takeout pizza to celebrate. Something just sounds right about pizza and pre rolls!
It’s National Pizza Party Day, so there needs to be a party taking place. Naturally, many people aren’t into parties right now: and that’s okay, so celebrate today alone or (safely) with friends.! You can have a solo pizza party, or you can host a virtual one. If you have cannabis-consumer friends in the Bay Area, even better. You can order the same food and same cannabis products to create a similar experience. You might even throw on a Netflix movie or play a Zoom-friendly game together. Maybe even combine the two and make a smoking game out of the movie you pick!
We’ve sorted through dozens of reviews and opinions to compile a great list of pizza restaurants in the Bay Area, along with cannabis products to go with each pick. All of these restaurants are within our delivery zone, so if you’re close to these spots, you should be close to us, too!
Here’s what we’ve got to celebrate National Pizza Party Day in style:
The best Chicago deep-dish pizza in the Bay Area:
Little Star Pizza, Divisadero
If you’ve never had Chicago deep-dish pizza, you’re in for a treat.
If you’re not a pizza lover and just prefer a small slice: you might not like this style of pie! Chicago deep-dish pizzas are enormous; they are quite literally a “deep dish.” The crust is very thick; think 2-4 standard slices of pizza stacked on top of each other. There is cheese in between the crust, and the sauce is on top of the entire pizza, rather than under the cheese-like traditional pizzas. If you’re ordering for yourself, we recommend a 9” pizza from Little Star. It sounds small, but it should be more than plenty to feed one person! If you like leftovers the next day, maybe order one size up.
This Bay Area pizza restaurant even has gluten-free options. Keep in mind that gluten-free options may not be necessarily safe for celiacs due to cross-contamination risk, so do your own research regarding dining gluten-free.
Since this pizza will require a big appetite, we recommend grabbing Sundae Driver Pre Roll for delivery. It’s an Indica strain and a cross between Fruity Pebbles OG and Grape Pie. Just make sure you order it in enough time to smoke and get hungry! If you don’t want to smoke, order some of Kanha’s nano gummies. Because the cannabinoids are nanoparticles, they absorb faster and are more bioavailable. Pizza and pre rolls just go together like cereal and milk.
For the ones who want to take control and get creative:
Make Your Own Infused Pizza at Home
Have you ever made your own pizza at home? Once you try it, you may never order pizza again. Not only is it a generally cheaper option, but you can choose exactly what does or doesn’t go in it. Plus, you can top it with cannabis! Weed pizza definitely won’t make the pizza cheaper than takeout, but it is fun to make.
It’s challenging to infuse a pizza crust with cannabis. Once you’ve decarbed the flower to make an infused butter or oil: you don’t want to reheat it and destroy essential cannabinoids.
That said, making this pizza crust recipe and lightly brushing the baked pizza crust with cannabis-infused olive oil or garlic butter is the best way to green up your pizza experience! Make sure the pizza crust cools down before you brush it to protect those cannabinoids but warm enough to allow the olive oil to absorb. Here’s a recipe for infused olive oil, by nutrition Emily Kyle:
- 16 ounces organic, extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ounce decarbed cannabis flower
- Lay a clean tea towel down on the bottom of the crockpot. This will create a buffer between your mason jars and the crockpot, potentially preventing any jar from moving or cracking during cooking. Fill your crockpot with enough warm/hot water to cover the top of the mason jars you plan on using by an inch to create a water bath.
- Place the digital instant-read thermometer into the water. Start the crockpot heat on high. When a temperature of 185° F is reached, turn the crockpot to low.
- While the water bath is heating in the crockpot, measure and decarb the cannabis flower in the oven at 240° F for 40 minutes. Click here for a full cannabis decarboxylation tutorial, if needed.
- Evenly divide the olive oil between the mason jars you plan on using. You can either use pint-sized or half-pint-sized jars; it’s your preference; just be sure they fit in your crockpot. No matter the size, be sure to leave a 1/2 inch headspace from the top.
- Evenly divide the decarbed flower between the olive oil-filled jars. Wipe the rim of the jars with a clean towel and place the lid on. Tighten the metal ring to finger-tip tightness; it does not have to be tightened all the way. Do not tighten too tightly.
- Once the water bath reaches a temperature of 185° F, carefully place the jars into the water bath. Place the lid on the crockpot and leave it alone to infuse for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, carefully remove the lid, followed by the jars from the hot water. Set them aside to cool.
- Once cool enough to handle, you will want to strain the oil through a paper filter and funnel, cheesecloth, or French press to separate the plant matter from the olive oil.
- Save the leftover cannabis pulp for use in future recipes. Then return the prepared cannabis olive oil to whatever jar you would like to store it in.
- Store the prepared cannabis olive oil in a cool, dry place. It will last longer if stored in the refrigerator and even longer if stored in the freezer.
You’ll need cannabis flower for this recipe, which yields roughly two cups of infused olive oil. Feel free to reduce the recipe if you want a smaller batch! Store leftovers in the fridge or freezer, but don’t heat to thaw.
You can really pick any strain of flower you like; it just depends on the effects you’re looking for. For a great Sativa, try this strain from Bloom Farms called Strawberry Fields. Take the homemade approach one step further and challenge yourself to source pizza ingredients from local suppliers! Pizza and pre rolls, nothing compares!
The best vegan pizza in San Francisco:
This pizza shop doesn’t just carry vegan pizza, but they have plenty of plant-based options for you! They also offer substitution ideas for some of their non-vegan pizzas to make them suitable for vegans. They even have options for gluten-free pizza lovers too. If you’re vegan, check out these pies from zpizza:
- Vegan Cheese pizza (make sure you specify you want the vegan option with all of these recipes, there’s an option for both choices!)
- California Roasted Veggie
- Berkley Vegan
- Tuscan Mushroom
- And salads galore to go with it!
To accompany this incredible vegan meal, grab a Mocktail from Keef. This beverage is powered with 100 milligrams of THC. We recommend mixing your mocktail with a delicious non-alcoholic beverage like sweet tea and making an infused Arnold Palmer, but the choice is yours! Drink it straight or mix it - we don’t judge. Pizza and pre rolls, a combination on par with Cheech and Chong.
The best New York Style pizza in the Bay Area:
Bibo’s NY Pizza
New York-style pizza is big, but not like Chicago! The crust is much thinner than deep-dish pizza, but the slices themselves are huge. New Yorkers often fold their pizza in half and eat it hot dog style because the slices are just unmanageable otherwise. New York pizza joints often sell their pizza by the slice, too, since they’re so big.
Bibo’s has plenty of unique options, like Sweet & Spicy and Pesto Please. Grab wings, a salad, cheese bread, or a calzone to go with your pizza. You can place an order for curbside or regular pickup, as well as order through DoorDash delivery!
To go with it, grab a pack of Venom OG Pre Rolls. Venom OG is an Indica strain, and these pre-rolls have 15% THC, so they will build up an appetite but aren’t too heavy-hitting. Joint in one hand folded pizza in the other. What could be better? Pizza and pre rolls, name a more iconic duo.
Celebrate with us!
Happy National Pizza Party Day! We hope you take this day to unwind, celebrate, grab your favorite Bay Area pizza, and some pre rolls. If you do, please tag us on Instagram @greenrushdotcom so we can see what you’re up to!
If you enjoyed making your own Cannabis pizza or are just interested in using Cannabis in the kitchen, check out our blog on How to Make Edibles!